Sunday, May 10, 2009

Nom nom nom nom nom nom....



I made spicy pickled carrots today from scratch, which was humorous to some people (they know who they are) because I am not a cook, even loosely defined. (I am more of a "nuker" or an "unwrapper-and-eater"). It was very easy, though. I used this recipe, which you can find if you click here. (Thanks, kt, for the tip!)

2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced at an angle into 1/4 inch thick pieces
5 whole cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
10 Turkish bay leaves (or 5 California bay leaves)
8 peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
6 oz. whole pickled jalapenos

Cut the carrots into 1/4" slices. They look fancy-pants if you cut them slanty.


Put a wee bit of olive oil in a pan and saute the garlic. Add the carrots and saute for 2-3 mins. Then, just add in the vinegar, bayleaves, peppercorns, and salt. Simmer for 5 mins. and then add the water. Simmer for 10 mins.


Let it cool off and then stick it all in a glass jar. I am told they will keep for up to 2 wks. If this is not the case, I will let you know.

Ahhhh-nom nom nom nom nom.....

1 comment:

Rick said...

I love these type of carrots! I am going to try your recipe. I'll share some with Pastina, too!