Thursday, June 4, 2009

OMP (Oh My Pastina!)

I made something delectable today. Dee-lec-tah-ble!! At my first bite, I was spirited away to a moment akin to the very famous nom of Brioche Tart that made Julia Childs weep (It is true - a tart (a wee tart!) actually rendered Julia Childs so choked up that - well. I cannot explain. You should watch - click here, and then click the video segment "Creme Fraiche Custard Brioche Tart, Part 2."

Ok. Where was I. Ah, the delectable nom (Dee-lec!-- ok, ok, sorry).... A Custard Pear Pie! -- Pears, fresh and delicate, paired (har har) with the sweet creaminess of custard! And did I mention that it was super mario brothers easy, too?? Only took me 15 minutes to put together, and required few ingredients. Which brings me to.... Ingredients:



- 3 D'Anjou pears (how do you pronounce? Dee-An-joo? Dan-joo?)
- 1 pre-made, frozen pie crust (9-inch)
- 3/4 c. white sugar
- 1/4 butter
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Press the pie pastry into a 9-inch pie plate and, what's-it-called, "ridge-ify"(?) the edges, -pinch, pinch-

Peel and cut the pears in half, and then take out the core with a knife (2 slanty cuts to make a "v" that pops the core out works well). Place the pears, cut side down, in the pie crust with the small ends pointing toward the center.



In a medium bowl, mix the softened butter and the sugar together until fairly smooth. Beat the eggs in one at a time until fluffy. Stir in the flour and vanilla. Pour this bowl of yummy over the pears.



Bake for about 50-55 minutes (the original recipe, found here, btw, on the Honey & Jam blog, said to bake 1 hour, but I got antsy and took it out at ~52 minutes). Cool before slicing and serving (I also cheated here - the original recipe says to wait until it is completely cool before you slice and nom, but someone - not me, it was probably my hamster - really wanted a piece BEFORE it was completely cool, and I, er - I mean, my hamster, LOVED it warm...)



"A dessert worth crying over!" (said in a Mrs. Doubtfire - I mean, Julia Childs - voice)


(click this pic! see the goodness!)

6 comments:

RMD said...

Yum!

Watch out! If you're not careful, you'll have a food blog on your hands!

Itinerant Traveler said...

Yum is right, that looks amazing. When you say let it cool before eating, do you mean like cool to refrig temp then serve or just counter cool? I'm thinking about making this tonight to serve tomorrow but I'm worried about overnight refrigeration wrecking the yum.

Megan McCabe said...

Hey Steve! Yay, I'm excited you're thinking of trying this - If you do, you will not be disappointed!

The original recipe said "let cool completely before slicing and serving." I let it cool so that it was still warm, but the custard had set. It was absolutely delish warm! I will let you know how it is a day after (I am already thinking about a nice slice after work...)

To store it, I let it cool to room temperature and only then, covered it and put it in the fridge.

Tonight, I plan on letting a slice warm to room temp and then, maybe, I will microwave it a tiny bit. I believe it is meant to be eaten at room temp, though.

Good luck! If you end up trying it, let me know!

Megan McCabe said...

Hi again, Steve -

I discovered it is still tasty the day after, at room temp. I liked it better, however, microwaved 15-20 secs./slice.

As with many desserts, though, it is best the day it is made - and, ooh, maybe with a teensy sliver of very sharp cheddar on top!

M

Steve Chasey said...

Wow, we had an all Off the Wheel feast for 10 on Saturday night and everyone was exceptionally impressed. OMP and Kelbi are a fantastic combo. I ended up not able to get 7-up, but went with some natural ginger ale instead which worked out nicely. Looking forward to trying out more off the wheet yums.
Thanks!

Megan McCabe said...

That's awesome!! I'm so glad you liked the recipes - Thanks for giving them a try!

Sounds like you guys had a nice feast :)