Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dinos and Coke



Ok. I have not been posting very much this month. You know how it is - life gets busy and the first thing to go is the blog updating. Anyway, I have been busy at work with... work (go figure), and have been busy at home with preparing for my move to California....

BUT....

I had to post this. Because it is about dinosaurs. And Pablo Escobar. I know, right?

Today, NPR had a story (here) about how the infamous Colombian drugpin's hacienda has apparently been turned into a theme park.

But! but! Wait. The important part of this is.... that, before the police shot him dead in 1993, Escobar had "stocked the ranch with life-size concrete dinosaurs and African big game." Whoooaahhh, for real? Because that is EXACTLY what I would do if I was an insanely rich, bad-ass Colombian drug lord.


Photo source: NPR

Photo source: BBC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People with power and money always seem to be on the eccentric side, no? I sometimes wonder what material pleasures I'd indulge in if I were filthy rich. I think I'd own a gumball machine and maybe a pinball one too. But I guess one wouldn't need to be filthy filthy rich to own either... WWMD?

Steve Chasey said...

What?? I don't think this little trivia tidbit made it into the Entourage movie about Escobar. Sadly the story doesnt say what he did with those life-sized wonders. Did he use them for target practice? (the phrase broad side of the barn comes to mind). Or was he fulfilling some long unrequited dino passion? (now Gabe's stegosaurus sweater from when he was five comes to mind...). Bizarre. Great find.